CATIA V5 Interview Questions & Answers (Basic)
CATIA V5 – Basic Interview Questions & Answers
1. Expand CATIAV5?
Computer Aided Three Dimensional Interactive Application.
2. What is the save extension of sketcher file?
3. Does CATIA V5 work on UNIX Platform?
4. Is it possible to increase the size of plane boundary representation & how?
Yes, go for Tools-Options- Infrastructure-Part structure-Display
5. Is It Possible to directly enter in to Sketcher Workbench?
No, it is not possible to enter in to sketcher workbench directly. We have to go for any workbench &form there we can enter the sketcher workbench…
6. Which is the tool used to exit from sketcher workbench to part design Workbench?
7. What is the use of construction elements?
Construction elements assist in sketching the required profile in sketcher.
8. What are the default units of LMT (Length, Mass and Time)
mm, Kg, Second.
9. What is SKETCH TOOLS in sketcher work bench & Explain the Importance of it?
SKETCH TOOLS in sketcher workbench are the commands, which find very use in creating sketches. SKETCH TOOLS are namely geometric and dimensional constraints, construction elements/standard elements and Grid option. They play very important role in sketching, whenever we want to constrain a sketch we use these options and if we want to convert any element into a construction element once again these options come into picture.
10. Is it possible to hide specification tree?
Yes, with help of F3 button, but the option in Tools command must be checked to allow this.
11. What is SHOW/HIDE option?
Show mode enables us to see all the components presently opened and in Hide mode we can hide the desired elements from the view for time being.
12. What is the use of Cut Part by Sketch Plane?
This task shows how to make some edges visible. In other words, we are going to simplify the sketch plane by hiding the portion of the material that is not needed for sketching.
13. How do you measure arc length?
We can measure arc length by using MEASURE ITEM command. Sometimes we need to customize the option for arc length if it is not checked earlier using customization in MEASURE ITEM command.
14. What is the meaning of true dimension?
True dimension is the dimension desired after the machining. In other words, this is the value that should be attained after the machining.
15. What do you mean by ISO-Constraints?
If all of the degrees of freedom of geometry have been takes up by a consistent combination of dimensions & fixed geometry. That geometry is said to be ISO-CONSTRAINED. Geometry that still has some degrees of freedom is said to be UNDER constrained.
16. Mention the color code of ISO-constrained, under, and over con strained elements?
The color code for these elements is Green, White and Magenta respectively.
17. What for the animated constraint command is used?
This task shows how constrained sketched element reacts when we decide to vary one constraint.
18. How many dimensions are required to constrain the ellipse?
Three dimensions are required namely major axis, minor axis and the distance from the origin.
19. What are different conic sections?
Ellipse, Hyperbola and Parabola
20. What is RHO value for ellipse, Parabola and hyperbola?
Parabola has RHO values of 0.5, Ellipse has RHO value between 0 & 0.5 and Hyperbola has RHO value b/w 0.5 &1.0.
21. What is NURBS?
Nurbs are the type of curves
22. How many types of Co-ordinate systems are there?
Three namely Cartesian, Polar and Spherical co-ordinate system.
23. What are project 3D silhouette edges?
Project 3D silhouette edges in sketcher will shows how to create silhouette edges to be used in as geometry or reference elements.
24. What is use of sketch analysis?
To check whether the sketch is fully closed or not so that the sketch can be used or not so that the sketch can be used for further operations in part design.
25. Where do we use axis?
Axis is used in creating shaft (revolved) feature
26. Can we redefine the sketches?
27. Can axis be converted into line or vice versa?
We can convert line into axis but axis cannot convert into line.
28. How many axis can be created in a single sketch?
Only one axis can be created in a sketch, if more than one axis are drawn then only one of them, the latest one, will be axis and others will be converted into reference elements.
29. How do we change, sketch’s reference plane?
Right click on the sketch whose reference plane is to be changed and select the change reference plane and then select new reference.
30. What is the function of mirror command in sketch?
Mirror command in sketch will create a copy of the sketch about a reference plane.
31. If I donor want the relation b/w original and mirrored elements what should I do?
Explore and the relation b/w the original and mirror element doesn’t exit.
32. What is the use of isolate in sketcher workbench?
Isolated is used when 3D geometry is projected on to a sketch in order to be modified and used as part of the sketch’s profile.
33. Can we select non-planer surf ace as sketch plane?
No, we cannot select a non-planar surface as sketch.
34. What are the different options available in quick trim command?
BREAK & RUBBER in removes part of the element, which is clicked. BREAK & RUBBER out removes part of the element, which is not clicked. BREAK & KEEP keeps both parts of elements after breaking.
35. What do CATIA P1, CATIA P2 AND CATIA P3 mean?
P1, P2 and P3 will indicate the different types of platforms of CATIA. Higher the number sophisticated will be the software.
36. What is kernel?
The kernel is the basic indispensable part of an operating system that allocates resources such as low-level hardware interfaces & security.
38. What is the importance of sketch tools?
This tool bar only appears when you are in sketcher workbench. The four tools found in this tool bar are toggle tools. When tool is highlighted the tool is on. This particular tool bar changes depending on what other sketcher workbench tool is currently selected.
39 .How many degrees of freedom are there for points, lines, circles & ellipse in 2dimensions?
Degree of freedom for points & ellipse is 2 for circles it is 3 & for ellipse it is 5 in two dimensions.
40. What is the meaning of mean dimension?
Mean dimension is the dimension that should be mean of all the dimensions, which are tolerance.
41. How many types of environment are available to start CATIA?
1. From desktop (motif)
2. From console (dterm)